ABI class of May 22, 2014
Basic writing skills / Basic 18: Paraphrasing
1) Winning is so important that nothing else matters. // There’s no other option than winning.
2) Writing is putting thoughts on paper. // When I write, my thoughts are transformed into the words I produce.
3) There’s a better word for our planet than calling it Earth; it should be Ocean. // The surface of the planet Earth has much more water than land, therefore it got the wrong name.
4) You get the best sleep when you’re really tired. // If you’re tired enough, you’ll sleep well.
5) A misinformation is transported way faster than the truth. // False statements seem to spread much faster than true ones.
6) If you create something spectacular, everyone will stand in lines to get it. // If you invent something useful, you will be successful / popular.
7) If it’s getting too hard / difficult for you, step back. // If you clearly see you can’t do it, stop trying. // If you can’t endure the stress of the job, you have the wrong one.
8) It is worse to be silly than to be cold-hearted. // Being cruel is bad, being stupid is worse. // The only thing worse than unkindness is stupidity.
9) Never act when you’re really angry because you will do stupid things. // If you’re angry, you won’t be able to think clearly.
10) Young people are always bored and don’t know what to do with their lifes, the older ones in contrary would know so many things to do but they’re lacking time. // You don’t appreciate being young until you are old, and then it’s too late.
1) Low-level education, basic skills formation, adequate for those who seek mostly physical and / or simpler jobs. // This is the lowest-level secondary school in Germany, which has students from grades 5 to 9 and qualifies its graduates for apprenticeships.
2) Intermediate-level education, more profound formation, adequate for those who wish to work as doctor’s assistant or secretary and so on. // This is the mid-level secondary school, with students in grades 5 to 10 who can gain qualifications to go on to apprenticeships or further education.
3) High-level education, broad and profound formation; permission to go to university // This is the highest level This is the highest level secondary school, taking students from grades 5 to 12, and qualifying its graduates for all forms of higher education as well as apprenticeships.
4) If you’re catholic, you have to pay these kind of taxes to remain in the catholic community. // It is a special tax that the government collects from members of a church and then passes on to that church.
5) There are laws telling shop owners when they have to close the shops and when they have to remain closed, i.e. on Sundays. This law is for protecting both employees and customers, further: family and private life. // This is a federal law which determines when different kinds of shops all over the country are allowed to be open.
6) There are laws that cleary state who’s next in turn to be heir. If the deceased hasn’t written a last will and testament, theses laws take action and regulate on how the possessions shall be distributed. // It is what federal law determines with respect to the inheritance that people are legally entitled to, for example what children have a right to demand from the estate of their parents.
HOMEWORK: Paraphrase two proverbs / sayings. Please also state the original phrase. Thank you.